Sunday, June 20, 2010

Spain, day one...arrival in Granada

And so the story begins! Sigh...deep breath. So much to share and remember, let's hope I get it all in, without boring you. :)

Our flight left at 6pm on Tuesday, and we arrived in Granada at 1pm (their time, which is 7 hours ahead of Texas time) on Wednesday. I had planned on sleeping a full night's sleep on the plane, but it just didn't happen. It was a ten hour flight from Dallas to Madrid, and then one hour from Madrid to Granada. In this time, I probably slept for a combined total of 2 hours. Needless to say, the first day I was grumpy, exhausted, irritable, and just plain unpleasant. I didn't want to be, I just was. I couldn't shake it, until I took a nap, then I woke up happy and ready to explore. Luckily, Zac (who'd taken Dramamine and slept 8 hours) was very understanding.
We got off the plane in Granada, and we got to climb down the stairs on the runway and then walk in to the airport. I told Zac I felt like Michelle and Obama, and there should have been paparazzi waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs. Haha, might be weird, but that's just me. :) I've certainly never got to leave the plane on stairs, and the only people who I ever really see do that are presidents.
Anyways, we took a bus to downtown, and luckily it let us out right across from our hotel, so we just had a short walk with our luggage. We checked in and the staff was so friendly and helpful. We set our stuff down and instantly set out to explore the city. We walked a bit and this is when I was at the peak of my exhaustion. We walked for about two hours, then decided to go back to the hotel for a nap. This was such a wise decision, because when I woke up I was refreshed and felt like a new person. I tried to put my contacts on though, and my eyeballs rejected them with lots of pain and twitching and watering, so I just wore my glasses. This wouldn't have normally been that bad, but about an hour after we left the hotel, it started POURING rain! Rain on glasses is so annoying, but luckily we were laughing and in a good mood as we sat under a tree, hoping to worst of it would pass. We had stopped at a little shop and bought a Coca-Cola and some strawberry belts (ya know, those long flat gummy strawberry things with that sour sugar stuff sprinkled on them? These were a bit hit with me all week and I would keep some in my purse and eat them every day, and when I ran out, we'd find another place that sold them.) so we snacked on those while we watched the rain. It didn't, and we were ready to get back to the hotel, so we booked it as much as we could and then took a taxi the rest of the way.
To see the pics from day one, please click HERE. Be sure to read the captions (although on this day they aren't super descriptive, but still) and click to the right to see the whole album.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I love all the pictures, keep these blogs coming! I'm living through your travels this summer while I bum around Grapevine. :)

Liz said...

All the pictures are so great! i guess you have like 6 more blog posts to get up today? I CANNOT wait to read all about it!
Also, your "ugly" face in the last picture is not even remotely close to some of the horrible facial expressions I make in pictures. Even as sad face, you are gorgeous!

Liz said...

also, i love that zac has the EXACT same expression in every picture.