Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mailbox Delight

I have always loved checking the mail. When I was a kid, everyone in our house knew that I got to check the mail. If I was home and heard the mailman coming, I would meet him on the porch. If we were all getting home at the same time, they all knew not to touch that mailbox...that was my territory. My sister and I each had a few magazine subscriptions, plus I always loved reading the church bulletin, and my mom always got cool catalogs from stores. I just loved it. Anyways, now that I am an adult, let's just say that I do not find checking the mail nearly as fun. First of all, we have community mailboxes, so it's not right in front of our house. I think these are kind of annoying, but I know that more and more subdivisions are going to these. Secondly, our mailbox usually just has junkmail and bills in it...neither are what I call "fun." Well, imagine my surprise the other day when I went to check the mail and had a pretty package waiting for me! It had a heart right above my name and everything! :) It was from a college friend Katie, a beautiful Christian and Mom to a sweet and adorable little redhead, Cameron. We haven't talked in quite awhile, but started following each other's blogs about a year ago, and have been keeping in touch through that and facebook. (TGFT...thank God for technology!) I was so tickled and happy, I could have just stared at the package, thinking about what a thoughtful friend I have. When I opened it, I was even more moved. A simple post-it note read "Julia, Hope this book touches you. Highly recommended by a friend of mine. Love, Katie" The book is about a Ethiopia (specifically Addis Ababa) and the battles they are fighting daily. I have already learned SO much about the country that I didn't know. (Which I will share in another post...this book deserves it's own entire post dedicated to it.) This post is about the generosity and kindness showed by a friend who I haven't seen in over five years. (Or is it six?) Katie-not only will I be touched by the book, but I have been touched by your sweet thoughtfulness! I am blessed to have you in my life. Thanks so much for the book! You're the best! :)

3 comments:

Ellen Enright said...

That's an awesome book! One of my favorites. Enjoy!

Liz said...

I have no memory of you being so enamored with the mail. I'm totally calling you out on this.

Linda said...

Even now when you visit, you RUN to get the mail when you know it has been delivered. Some things never change!