Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Julia Ebert (or should I be Julia Siskel?)

Since I started out the week off sick, we rented several movies to pass the time at the house. Here are my thoughts on them-
The Hurt Locker-Very suspenseful. It was a war movie, but it was different than other war movies I've seen. I would definitely recommend it. We both enjoyed it alot. (Funny side note-one of the main characters was played by the same actor who played Papa Doc in 8 Mile, and Tupac Shakur in Notorious, so I kept waiting for him to start rapping, haha!!)
Law Abiding Citizen-I remembered twenty minutes into the movie why I didn't see it in the theater...I didn't want to! This movie was a bit disturbing and unsettling.

Love Happens-I am not the biggest Jennifer Aniston fan on the block, but I really really liked this movie. I do like Aaron Eckhart a lot, and from the side, he kindof reminds me of my cousin Matt! Zac loved that it took place in Seattle, and pointed out every time they showed something we'd seen or visited last spring break. I wouldn't even call this a romantic comedy, because the funny parts were very subtle and rare. I'd probably call it a drama, but it was neat. Touching. And awesome soundtrack. I loved every song that played throughout the film!
Precious-I didn't know if I could make it through the movie. This felt very "close to home" because of my own students' experiences, but I am glad I watched it. Like The Blind Side, this movie shows how ONE person can make a huge impact and difference in the outcome of a person's life. Very powerful movie. And Monique deserved that Oscar...wow!
We went to the theater last night to see:
Brooklyn's Finest
-Ugh...where do I begin? This movie was long and a little slow at the beginning (Zac threatened to go into "Jules at Shutter Island" mode, haha) but when it picked up, MAN I WAS HOOKED! Actually I was always hooked, it's the people I was with who thought it was long and slow. I guess I have to say that it was an amazing movie since it provoked SO...MUCH...EMOTION from me. Whether that be happy emotion or upset emotion, I won't say. I don't want to give anything away, but put it this way...I felt VERY strongly when I left the movie, and I've not been able to quit thinking about the film since. I might or might not have agreed with the ending, but either way it was a powerful movie, and cleverly made. Ramsi said it was "like The Departed, but in Brooklyn, in the projects, without Jack Nicholson." **If any of you have seen this movie, or go to see it, please let me know so I can talk openly with you about it. Uhhh...so much to say!!!!!!!

No comments: