Friday, March 26, 2010

Lesson learned...

Never sit down on the job! No, really...I'm not joking! Our kids have a Special Olympics track meet coming up, so we were working with them outside today (which was a lovely day, might I add?). The kids were doing long jump, and practicing landing with two feet. (It's much harder than it sounds.) Anyways, I was off to the side with one of my kids in a wheelchair who was not participating. I rolled him over to the pole vault mat and tried to sit on the edge of the mat. Except apparently it's been raining a lot, when no one was watching, because as I started to sink into the mat, it INSTANTLY formed a big puddle around my 'seat.' I had a long sleeve shirt on, and the wrists of both sleeves were so soaked they were dripping. My jeans and undies were saturated too. It all happened so quickly. The water was freezing, and I was so shocked, but my students were laughing so hard, it was ALMOST worth it. Luckily I had some workout clothes with me at school, so I was able to change after we went inside. It was one of those "laugh-so-you-don't-cry" moments. :)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Oh Jules that is so funny. Thank goodness you had extra workout clothes. I had a similar situation in denmark, except it was a bike instead of a pole vault mat. And I did not have extra clothes, but I did have a hoodie that I was able to tie around my waist so I didn't look like I had wet myself.
Also, do they really do pole vaulting in middle school?