Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Three months from today...

our plane will be landing in Spain. Wow! I can't wait!! In the meantime, to hold me over AND get me ready, I just ordered these two books:

When Stacy and I went to New York, she sent me the Eyewitness Travel guide to NYC and I loved loved loved the way it was broken up...very easy to manuever and read. Some travel guides skip around and some are just organized kinda weird, but I personally love the way the eyewitness books flow. (Does that sound weird?) Anyways, I can't wait to start reading all about where we are going, and get some new ideas on places to visit and things to see and food to try. Yippee!
The best part? I had a $30 Barnes and Noble gift card left over from graduation, so I didn't even have to pay for them! I ordered them about an hour ago, and already received an email that they are ready to be shipped, and will arrive on 3/11, which is Thursday. Wow right? I'm impressed that free shipping could be so speedy! :)
I desperately need to brush up on my Spanish. I used to be fluent (I'm not joking...it was my minor, I took Spanish Lit. classes and used to read, think and even do math in Spanish in my head) but I have not used it in years, and I have lost soo much. I didn't even know you could lose a language by not using it for years. (it's probably been about 5-6 years since I used it regularly) It is so frustrating, but I'm hoping that since I have a past with it and a good foundation it will come back easily. Gosh, I hope so! Today I started speaking to a few of our custodians in Spanish about our upcoming trip and found myself a little flustered and insecure about my speech, and I never used to be that way. I was so annoyed with myself. Oh well...be positive Jules. I'm going to start listening to Univision in the mornings as I get ready for work (instead of music) so that I can get used to hearing, keeping up with, and understanding the language again. I mean really...I don't mean to sound whiny, but it is so aggravating to be fluent in a language at one point, and then find yourself struggling to converse in it just a few years later. Ugh!! I'll let you know how it goes. Zac has requested a copy of Rosetta Stone to learn Espanol, but I'm not sure when he'll get it, or if he'll actually listen. I hope he's not relying on me too much, because at this point I feel like I know less than I did in middle school. Hopefully practice will get me back. Okay, I can tell I'm getting redundant and mopey, so I'm going to close.
Wish me luck! And if you want to say it in Spanish, say ¡buena suerte!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Yea! Y'all will have a great time in Spain. I think listening to Univision will bring your spanish thinking/speaking back fairly quickly. We would have never made in in Isla Mujeres without you and Liz there to cover Papa's sketchy Spanish!

breck8199 said...

Take me with you!