Wednesday, June 29, 2011

School's (really) Out For Summer!

Yay! Today I finished teaching my first summer school! I did 8th grade reading, and LOVED the change. The kids I taught had either failed English/Language Arts for the school year, or failed both of the TAKS reading tests. So, you could say I had a challenge on my hands, but I really liked it. The kids took their third (and final) administration of the TAKS today. I hope they did well. Results won't be available until after July 15th.I only had nine students (six of which I had two hours a day, and three whom I taught four hours a day), so I got to REALLY work with them and build a relationship with each of them. The circumstances for summer school are actually teacher's dream...four hours a day, only four days a week, small classes, positive relationships, laid back atmosphere...too bad it isn't like this all year long! :)

I know that school (techinically) got out the first week of June, but since I had summer school, it didn't really feel that different to me. I still had to wake up early, tried to go to bed at a reasonable hour, and couldn't really leave town. Not my typical summer freedom. But today when I left the building (even though I enjoyed teaching this summer) I had the most joyful, weight-has-been-lifted, giddy feeling. I thought the Alice Cooper song "Schools Out For Summer" should have been blasting from the sky. Instead, I just added it to my playlist and listened to it three times in a row when I got home.

Today when the kids finished the TAKS, we had time to talk before they had to leave. They got on the subject of music, and one of the kids said her favorite artist was 'Prince Royce.' When I said "WHO!?" with a puzzled look on my face, one of the other kids said "miss, you don't know him? He's like the latin Justin Bieber! All the girls love him!" So, of course when I got home I had to look up the latin Justin Bieber. And being the considerate person I am, I thought I'd share this new discovery with you, just so you never feel stupid that you don't know who a huge singing sensation is. LOL! Here ya go, my friends...

*To turn off the music already playing, just scroll down to the bottom and find my playlist and hit pause. I'm liking the playlist thing. I've already thought of a few songs I want to use in the coming days. It's fun to let a song define your day. At least, it's fun to me, and it's my blog, so there.

3 comments:

Amy F said...

I love that you have such a positive attitude about summer school...I'm sure it has rubbed off on your kids and they feel like someone cares about them!!

Ellen Enright said...

Great post. I liked the song too. enjoy summer.

Linda said...

Congrats on finishing summer school! Now you can come visit me!

I liked Prince Royce too!