Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympics (well, mostly gymnastics)

I am loving watching the Olympics! Zac doesn't care much about them, so I'm using my blog to discuss my thoughts. Please tell me what you are liking, and what moments or facts have stood out to you. Here are a few of mine:

Bulgaria has a male gymnast who is 39! This is his SIXTH Olympics to attend! How cool is that!? He said he can only train when he finds the time, which is usually only 30 minutes, three times a week. How crazy is that? And these 20 year olds are training eight hours a day!

Brazilian gymnast Daniele Hypolito's eye make-up. Very patriotic. I love Brazil's leotards though! :)

Team USA Girls' Gymnastics:
I like their uniforms! The blue and sparkles looks very pretty in the pinkish-purple arena! (props to the Brits for making it pink! hehe)

The slow-motion videography is soo cool to me! When the girls are vaulting, I love how it feels so special effecty because of the camera work, when they pause the gymnast in the air, then go from a straight on view, to the side view! 

Watching Aly's parents reacting to her bar routine was precious. I can't even imagine how nervous they are for her. All parents, really. I like seeing the parents in the crowd.

Gabby is my favorite. I just love her so much. So pretty. Love her smile. So graceful. Is it weird that I want to be best friends with her? haha!

My heart is breaking for Jordyn Wieber. If you don't know why, read this paragraph...(or if you'd like to see the whole article, click here.)
An athlete who has trained since she was four years old is the reigning World and National Champion and coming into the Olympic Games as the all around favorite. She has a good day, not great, in her first Olympic competition and finishes 3rd in the World out of the 3 of 5 sessions of qualifications. However, the two gymnasts ahead of her are her teammates. So, because of a rule, she will not advance to finals. 
Although USA is in the lead for team, Jordyn (the best of the best!) didn't make it to individual All Arounds. Just because of a dumb rule. So sad for her.
Dear Jordyn, even though Gabby is my favorite, I still love you! Congrats on helping your team!
I cried when Kelci Bryant and Abby Johnston won the silver medal in synchronized diving. They were so excited and emotional, it was priceless!
I like Olympics commercials better than Super Bowl commercials. I also love how Olympics are so uniting. We are all cheering for Team USA (well, most of us), instead of disagreeing over teams and college vs. professional, and sleazy players, etc. It's such a positive thing. Love it.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

completely agree! I feel for Jordyn and what a stupid rule it is that only two from each team can compete in the all around. It should be the best of the best regardless of how many from each country!

However I think Aly & Kyla are my favorite - Chris loves McKayla and that she can get so much air on her vaults - amazing! I felt so bad when almost all of our girls stepped out of bounds - the floor did seem extra springy

Also loved watching the synchronized divers too - they were so cute!

Go USA! Agreed again - what a great thing that everyone can agree on in this country because that rarely happen :)