Wednesday, July 15, 2009

13

useless and random facts about me...

1. I always talk about how I am obsessed with and addicted to Dr. Pepper...the secret truth is that I actually like Pibb Extra (formerly Mr. Pibb) better. It is just harder to find Pibb, so I usually drink D.P. At the grocery store when both are available though, I have to get Pibb! :)

2. I have no phobia of public restrooms. My friends swear that when I have kids this will change, and I know that I should be scared of all those germs, but I think I am too grateful to be able to go to worry about germs. BUT...I have this really weird thing that when I use a public restroom that I've used before, I have to go in the same stall I used last time. I KNOW, that is so weird, but like at the movie theater we always go to, I have to use a certain stall.

3. I watch Ellen every day. If I am not home, I tivo it. I think she is a beautiful person, and if everyone had her giving spirit, sense of humor, and pure heart, the world would be a better place.

4. I have this nagging fear that I will not be able to get pregnant when I am ready and wanting to. It scares me, and the older I get, the stronger the feeling is.

5. Speaking of getting pregnant, I feel like I was born to be a mom. It is all I am passionate about. I was the girl who turned down a movie with my friends to babysit when I was in high school. I love kids. I wish I cared more about a career, but I just want to be a mom. Is that so bad?

6. Sometimes I secretly despise sports. I grew up around them, with parents who love them, I married a coach, cheerleading is all about sports, but sometimes I just hate sports. I know, it's horrible. Sometimes I love them, don't get me wrong, but there are days I resent the sports world and the obsession with sports. (risky admitting this, I know!)

7. People have always told me that I'm mature for my age, or that I have an old soul. I get that, because I had to grow up fast due to all my health problems as a kid, but the truth is that I feel younger than I am. Like sometimes I am like, I'm 26?...I'm married?...I have a house? Surely I am not old enough to have all that, right? I don't know...it's hard to explain.

8. I want to adopt a little boy from Ethiopia. I have always thought adoption was awesome, but the Ethiopia part is new, and now it's the most important part to me.

9. I always wish that I had studied abroad for a year in Spain. Not only for the culture and language exposure, but to prove to myself that I can be independent. I have never lived alone or had to provide for myself. I think that being in a country by myself would have forced me to do it.

10. Zac and I talked about baby names very early in our relationship. As fickle as we both are, it's surprising that we still like the same baby names we chose seven years ago. We have one boy name and two girl names we like. We want two kids...hopefully it won't be two boys, or else we will have to get creative for that second boy name!

11. I like cold showers. Hot showers make me grumpy, and they're not even refreshing to me. I have dry skin and hot water hurts it. Cold showers are so rejuvenating! Yes...I know I am probably alone in this one. Most people think I am so weird for liking cold showers!

12. I'm allergic to erythromycin, chlorine, and mostly caviar! Once I ate caviar (and loved it) with my cousin Matt, and the next day the skin behind my knees, on my wrists and elbows was swollen and red and itchy. Luckily I had taken a benadryl to help me sleep the night before, or it would have been way way worse! I went to the doctor and had to get a shot and then be on steroids and anti-biotics for a week! Aw man...guess I shouldn't have "champagne wishes and caviar dreams!"

13. I am an open-minded person, but my biggest intolerance is towards people who are intolerant. Isn't that hypocritical? I am trying to work on it, but I just get so frustrated when people are narrow minded and unaccepting of other peoples beliefs. The worst is when people use their "religion" to back up their views...we are not here to judge, and Christ asked us to love our neighbors. ALL of our neighbors, not just the ones who have our same lifestyle and opinions! (yes, I am telling this to myself too)

6 comments:

Shannon said...

#1 HA! I didn't know that Mr. Pibb changed names! I need to keep up!

#4...me too :( It's scary to think about.

#5 I think its so wonderful that you want to be a mom and are so passionate about it. Unfortunately I see a lot of kids who I teach whose mom's aren't as excited about their job as mom. I wish there were more people who felt the way you do! :)

#6. I hate all sports! You probably already knew that. :)

#13 "we are not here to judge, and Christ asked us to love our neighbors. ALL of our neighbors, not just the ones who have our same lifestyle and opinions! (yes, I am telling this to myself too)" Well said!

ejo said...

6. I secretly hate sports also. I appreciate a lot of the things that they have done/do for society/my family, but I think there is a whole lot more emphasis on the über masculine parts of it and a lot less on the physical/fitness side of it. I mean why else would there be so many people that love sports and are shaped like a fat ball themselves. That's probably mean, but I don't take it back. I mean how many times have I been in the stands (or on the field) and heard the most out of shape people criticize TEENAGE athletes for making mistakes. Hello! He may have bumbled that ball, but you couldn't even run fast or far enough to get to the pass!

Anyway... That's why I love my new favorite type of sports. Marathon/Triathlon type stuff. Everyone is supportive and there is a lot of emphasis on being healthy and not dying of clogged arteries. I've never seen porkrines at an endurance event.

PS. This goes along with my views about many religions. I love some of the things that they have done/do for society/my family, but all to often, the emphasis is on the wrong things, and there is a lot of criticism from (morally) out of shape people.

7. I always feel like I'm just a teenager, trying to figure things out or enjoying really simple things.

10. I have two really good names for boys picked out. I'm not gonna share them, though, because they are really different and amazing and I don't want people to steal them or feel badly because their names pale in comparison to them.

12. It's okay. We can not have those dreams, together...just my aversion is by choice.

13. I agree so much! If anyone wants to be offended they should just read the comments on any article/youtube that deals with diversity (LGBT topics, Race Topics, Religion Topics). The things people write is enough to make anyone loose faith in humanity.

Stacy said...

Hmm I never knew your love for cold showers ... we will never be able to shower together. The hotter the better for me! :-)

And ditto you AND Maci on #13

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic blog entry! I love reading these things, and I found yours especially interesting.

The cold shower thing totally throws me...weird. Is it like no hot water at all?

Julia, you are going to be a fantastic mom--whenever you get ready. Don't stress yourself out over something you have not much control over. I totally agree with Maci about #5, and we all know you'll be great. God totally has a plan for you. What's that Bible verse about not worrying... ;)

And thanks for the Pibb update...who knew?

P.S. All sports suck except NASCAR. But, I have to eat pork rinds when I watch it, so that may not convince you to watch it. ;)

Liz said...

7. I'm not saying you are not a very mature 26 year old, but you just spent all weekend at my house pining over the PB Teen catalog. :)
13. I do not think that makes you hypocritical at all.

Ellen Enright said...

Julia!!
You are so interesting. I love the facts about you.

I thought the sports one was funny.
Love the last one.

And the shower one, WOW!!! I can't imagine! Cold showers take my breath away while I'm in them. I don't tolerate them at all.