Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Blogging, doubled up

Wednesday, July 6th
1. Do something productive.
Cleaned out the fridge, threw away some old candles, rearranged an overly-decorated window sill above our master bathtub, took out trash and recycle, laundry, worked on a special project (soon to be revealed on this very blog!),
2. Do something healthy, or for others.
I had a great workout at the gym. Not having to leave in time to get ready for school or summer school, I was able to take my time and really push myself. My back and arms are sore today, but it feels good, because it means I worked them hard.
3. Do something selfish.
 I had lunch with a friend from work. She was also a first year teacher this year, and we didn't get to see each other much, but when we did, we always had lots to talk about and laughed tons! It was a great lunch, and when Zac texted me two and a half hours after we met, asking if I was okay, I was shocked that much time had already passed. I hope to continue to get to know her and build our friendship. :) I took a long sweaty nap. We also rented a movie last night, called Conviction, about a woman who becomes a lawyer, just to free her innocent brother from life in prison. It has Hilary Swank and Minnie Driver, and it's based on a true story. The brother in jail was also a prisoner in The Green Mile, and Sandy Cohen from The O.C. plays an attorney in the film, so Zac and I were joking that they only cast people in roles they'd already seen them in. Probably not funny to anyone else, but Zac and I had a hoot with it. Haha. The film was a little slow and long, but worth watching. If you're curious, you can view the trailer here. It was sort of strange to watch a film all about a guilty conviction in the midst of all this Casey Anthony mess.

Thursday, July 7th
1. Do something productive.
Zac cooked lunch and I washed dishes and loaded/ran dishwasher, visited a friend in the hospital (who might have Crohns, which of course is near and dear to my heart, so please pray for him! The colonoscopy is tomorrow), worked on a special video project
2. Do something healthy, or for others.
I went to the doc for a B-12 shot. If you want to know that benefits of B-12, see the bottom of this post. I have been taking the sub-lingual (under the tongue) lozenges for months, but recently read that they still aren't as good as getting an injection, and I totally don't mind shots, so it seemed appropriate. I haven't been feeling too hot lately, so maybe this (and a few other changes I'm making) will help.
We took some magazines to our friends in the hospital, so I guess that would be doing something for others? I always feel like I'm bragging when I list something I did for someone else, and it seems to discount the action, but that's not my intention at all. I hope you know that. I just list it to hold myself accountable.
3. Do something selfish.
After visiting our friend, I forced poor Zac to go shopping with me (although I didn't buy one thing, and we were really only in the store for about 15 minutes). Afterwords we went to Baskin-Robbins, and I got my favorite coffee drink of all time...the Mocha Cappucino Blast. YUM! Z got a double scoop of cookie dough ice cream, and smiled the whole time he ate it. :)
The day isn't over yet, so who knows what else I might (or might not) accomplish today, but I wanted to go ahead and post this, since we might have fun plans tonight. I'll let you know! Also, a new season of Big Brother starts tonight. Woohoo!

The top 5 health benefits of vitamin B 12 are:
  • It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.
  • It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.
  • It helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.
  • It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.
  • Vitamin B 12 helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostrate cancer. 
This info is just from one site (different sites list various "top reasons" to take it), but if you are interested, or think it could help you, you should definitely research it. I read on a government website (after already receiving the shot) that people who've had gastrointestinal disorders or surgeries are especially good candidates for the shots, since we aren't able to absorb as much. Cool, huh. Every site also said that vegans should consider taking some form of B12, since it's usually absorbed in meats and milk products. Okay, I'm off my soapbox-of-the-day now, and done being a pusher. :)
And yes, as a matter of fact, that was three posts in one day. Make sure you didn't miss any of them. I'm making up for being out of town over the weekend! You're welcome.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow - you are taking this 'do something productive' thing seriously. Good for you. I think all three of your daily goals are awesome. I think posting about them does help with the accountability too.

The Vitamin-B12 sounds like something we should all be taking!

Let me know more about JB maybe having Crohns. YIKES.

Love you.

Amy F said...

Jules - Should I take B12? Is it expensive?

Anonymous said...

I may be up for taking the B12 shot after seeing all the energy it gave you. -Zac