Monday, June 29, 2009

"get up and shake the glitter off your clothes now..."

You know how it is...every summer there are songs that define that specific time. For example, the summer of 2006 stands out to me because it is when we moved from small town Burnet to big city Austin. We were young and married but we had been living like old people, since we lived in a small town and there was nothing to do. When we moved to Austin, we felt so young and liberated. I remember waking up with excitement! The songs that were ALWAYS on my radio were Sexy Back and Promiscuous Girl. Those songs will forever remind me of that time in our life. I can't hear the song "Peaches" by The Presidents of the United States of America without thinking of being 16, on a carnival ride with my best-friend Carrie. The song was blaring on the speakers and I remember being dizzy and feeling the wind blowing through my hair and that music screaming in my ears. That is such a memorable moment BECAUSE of the song attached to it. I have a million songs and memories that are tied together. I could write an entire post about it. I'm sure you would get a few chuckles out of that one. EX: The summer Zac and I started dating, he used to sing this Usher song all the time and he would do this cute little dance. (see 3:52 if you wanna see the dance) When we went bowling a few weeks ago, the song came on and Zac and I immediately looked at each other and shared a moment and a laugh. I just realized how I went off...and I still have a million more examples to share. That really might have to be a future post. :) GAH! I love music! See how powerful it is?
Anyways...back to the reason for THIS post. These summer songs I am talking about aren't just popular songs, they aren't even necessarily my favorite songs out, but they are songs I like, that will forever remind me of this space in time in my life. So yeah, I like Boom Boom Pow, and it's on the radio all the time, but it's not a "summer song" by MY definitions. Basically, it isn't on My List of 2009 SUMMER JAMS. But here are the songs that are...
Some of the songs would not let me embed from YouTube, so you will just have to click on them to hear the song.
"Good Girls Go Bad" by Cobra Starship (featuring Leighton Meester)
"Boys Boys Boys" by Lady Gaga This one hasn't even been released to radio yet, but I listen to it on CD at least once a day! :)
"Waking Up in Vegas" by Katy Perry
"Ego" by Beyonce. HELLO...a week from today I am going to see her! OMG!
"I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas
"Calle Ocho" by Pitbull
"Ice Cream Paint Job" by Dorrough

So most of you have reported to me that you don't listen to the music I post on my blog (haha, your loss!!), but don't y'all have songs like this? I mean I know I am not the only person who has a soundtrack to my life. I know music is SUCH a big part of my life, but do you guys know what I mean? Do you have songs that remind you of a certain time in your life or even a specific event?

1 comment:

Katie K said...

The Trace Adkins song "You're Gonna Miss This" was a big hit when I was pregnant, and I will always think of Baby Cameron and how it was a great reminder.