Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Sister's Keeper: The Complete Review

In the past week, I have read the book My Sister's Keeper, seen the movie, and purchased and (almost) memorized the soundtrack. Can you tell that I'm a fan? :) I will now review all three, but don't worry...I won't give anything away!
THE BOOK
It was amazing! I have never read a Jodi Picoult book, but I loved i,t and look forward to reading more. She has a very unique writing style, as each chapter is from a different character's point of view, and they all collaboratively tell the story. You can't really take sides this way, because you get to hear each character's ideas and reasoning and get inside their head. It is very unbiased. The chapters also jump around from past to present, which makes for a page turner. I read it in just a few days, and actually finished it on Friday night (technically early Saturday morning). I could not put it down and stayed up until 3am, reading it all the way until the last page. I woke up Saturday morning thinking about the book and dying to see the film (which had just come out the day before) so I convinced Zac, Ramsi and Bez to go with me at 11:30am. (I didn't wanna waste any time!)
THE MOVIE
Wow! I cried way harder at the movie than I did reading the book. (I have never cried harder in a movie. Ever! Not Seven Pounds, not PS-I Love You, not Marley in Me. Not ever! This was my record setter for amount cried in a movie!) In fact, everyone cried. Leaving the theater, you could tell who had seen MSK because they all had red swollen blotchy faces. I felt like I swallowed a metal plate at the beginning of the movie and could not get it out of my throat until hours after the movie. (I had a lump in my throat...a big one.) We made the mistake of forgetting Kleenex, so we had to use buttery, salty, leftover popcorn napkins, which needless to say didn't feel too good on the eyes. The movie was very different from the book, but I still LOVED it. Maybe even a bit more? I wondered if they were going to be able to jump around from character to character, but I think they did so pretty well. Yes, they left out several key parts of the book, but I wouldn't wanna change anything about the movie. It was SO POWERFUL! As sad as the movie was, I still HIGHLY recommend you see it. There are also light and funny parts, and the storyline is so touching. The music was AH-MAY-ZING, which leads me to my last review...
THE SOUNDTRACK
(Actually it's called "Music from the Motion Picture" because they are other artist's songs...not original tracks.) I don't know if you are familiar, but I would kinda compare this soundtrack to the Hope Floats soundtrack. Very soulful songs, beautiful, deep, and maybe a tiny bit dark. I obviously love it, because I bought it! I have listened to it quite a bit and I already know which song comes next, at the end of one song. The music definitely helped make the movie, and now when I listen to the songs, they remind me of the specific part in the movie that they were used. Just see it...you'll know what I mean. (You can click on the link "music from..." to hear the songs for free on Amazon. I bet you are familiar with at least a few of them! Wow!

So have any of you read the book? Seen the movie? Listened to any of the songs? Thoughts???

1 comment:

Katie K said...

Not sure if want to watch it in public! But by the way, there was a preview for The Time Traveler's Wife on there too, and that is the most amazing book! Can't wait to see the movie!