Wednesday, March 11, 2009

These baby blues are hurting...

I can't believe I am just now posting about this. I started this blog last Friday...

I went to the eye doctor today for my annual check-up. I go every year and get new contacts and find out my vision has gotten even worse. Seriously, I got glasses in third grade (but never wore them), by sixth grade I had to wear them non-stop. In seventh grade I got contacts, and have been wearing them since then. I've always been good about going to the doctor once a year, and every year my prescription gets stronger. I tried to get lasik when I was 18, but I was not a candidate because my vision was still changing too much. My optometrist told me that it should stop changing any time now, but here we are 7 years later, and it is STILL getting worse! :( Hopefully now that I am in my mid-twenties...it really will quit changing! I certainly hope so, or at this rate I will be blind by 40! (I practically already am!)
Anyways, these visits are always quick and painless...just order the new contacts, pay the money, and go. NOT THIS TIME!! It never even entered my mind that the appointment could throw a curveball at me, but it did! I had been having some discomfort in my eyes lately, but I thought it was a new mascara I bought, and made a mental note not to buy it again. Simple right? Nope! I have an eye condition called Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC). Basically, "there is increased mucus production, irritation, itching, sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity) and decreased tolerance to contact lens wear. Soft lens wearers may find their lenses moving with the blinking of their eyelids, further irritating the eye and causing even more mucus secretions---creating a cycle of increasing severity of symptoms." The good news is that my doctor said that we caught it early and he thinks the medicated drops we prescribed me will be able to reverse the effects. (The other good news was that since I have a medical issue, I got to file the appointment with Blue Cross, Blue Shield, even though I don't have vision insurance through them.) Anyways, so I have to majorly cut back the hours and amount I wear my contacts. That means I am going to have to start wearing my glasses alot more. :( My current glasses prescription is 6 years old (since I used to only wear them at night and in the morning), so I am getting new glasses this year in addition to the new kind of "breathable" contacts I am switching to.
It just occurred to me that this is probably really boring, and I'm sorry for that. I doubt you care about my vision and eyes. haha. SORRY! I promise tomorrow I am posting a really good one, about my last week in Kindergarten! :)

5 comments:

Linda said...

I hope your eyes get better soon!

Liz said...

I'm so sorry about your eyes! I'm glad they caught it early, and i hope you get back to contacts soon!

Liz said...

Also, when I read the title, I thought "Baby Blues" were referrring to you wanting to have a baby, so the whole story I was confused with the relevance between your eye doctor visit having anything to do with having a baby. :)

Linda said...

I love the picture of Molly!

Ellen Enright said...

Liz, you're so funny!! Julia, I hope your eyes feel better.