Monday, April 13, 2009

5 Down, Many More To Go...


Okay, so I told y'all awhile back that I was going to read as many Newbery Books as I could possibly get my hands on. This morning I finished my fifth Newbery Award winning books, and started my sixth. Here are the five I have read, in order of my favorite to least. (I liked them all, I just LOVED the ones closer to the top.)

Bud, Not Buddy
Shadow of a Bull
Kira, Kira
The Giver
The Whipping Boy

I have been telling everyone I know to read Bud, Not Buddy. It is about a ten year old little black boy during the Great Depression who is looking for his father. I can not explain to you how much I enjoyed this book. Please read it, I think kids and adults alike would fall in love with this story. It is written from the boy's perspective and he is outright hilarious. I was sad when I finished the last page, and I wish there was a sequel! It only won the award a few years ago, but I heard tonight in class that it is already a required reading book for sixth graders in our district! I bet they will love it, but I think adults would get more out of it, assuming that some of the story or references will go over the 6th graders' heads.
Shadow of a Bull is about a ten year old boy in Spain whose father was a legendary bullfighter. His father passes away when he is three, so he doesn't remember him, but everyone in their small town constantly talks about him, and can't wait for him to turn 12 so he can start fighting bulls too. The only problem is, he does not want to fight bulls, so he has to decide whether he should let the town down and follow his heart, or step up to the plate and put himself in danger.
Kira, Kira was also awesome, it is about a young Asian girl growing up in America. It is written from her point of view, and like Bud, she is pretty funny in her wording and observations.
I had read both The Giver and The Whipping Boy before, but as a young child, so it was fun to re-read them and have a whole new perspective.
Anyways, the point is...Children's Literature rocks, and can be enjoyed just as much OR MORE by adults. I highly advise you read these, but if you only read one, get Bud, Not Buddy. Believe me, you will thank me! :)

PS-I know I am WAY behind on blogging! I hope to be posting soon about the following:
-the rest of spring break (a special visit from Eliza and her parents!!)
-Granny's 90th birthday in Midland
-Easter weekend in Burnet
-college, doctors, life, music

1 comment:

Shannon said...

oooh I love those books although I haven't read Kira, Kira yet! I will have to pick that one up. My favorite Newberry book is Number the Stars. Have you read it? If you liked Bud, Not Buddy I think you'd like it, too. :)