Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 10-a long one

day 10: one confession.

I'm happy right now. That sounds like a strange confession to make, but let me explain, and bear with me, because for some reason it's hard to say. I am happy right now with our life...just the way things are. I got married at 21, thinking I'd be FINISHED having kids by 25. When I was in college, I thought the month after I graduated we'd start "trying." Now it's almost been a year since graduation, I'm 27 1/2 and Zac is 30, and I am COMPLETELY FINE with the fact we do not have kids. Isn't that weird? If I could have told the 21-year-old me that I wouldn't have kids until I was almost 30, I know I would have flipped out. But I AM HAPPY!!! In fact, I wouldn't mind if we waited a few years to start our family! It's strange to even write. I don't know why I feel guilty about this, but I do. I think I fear that I will let someone down. Maybe my two sisters who already have kids? Maybe my nieces and nephew? Maybe our parents who LOVE being grandparents? Maybe my coworkers? Maybe perfect strangers? I'm not sure why I am so worried about what everyone thinks, but I know we've been married 6 years and "it's time" to have kids, but I'm not ready. See, Zac and I did everything in a funny order. We married before I finished school, we moved a bunch, then I got a job, then finished school, and in a weird way I feel younger and "less settled" now than I did years ago, when we were living in Burnet and I was only 21, but all of my friends were stay at home moms. We finally have two jobs that we are happy with, making a nice amount of money (I didn't say a lot, but compared to what our income has been the past 6 years, it feels like lots!) and we want to be selfish for awhile. We want to travel. We want new furniture. We want to sleep late on Saturday morning. I used to think it was such a cop-out when people said they wanted to "be selfish" before they had kids, because I thought life didn't start UNTIL you have kids. But now that I have a consuming job, and very little time at the house, I realize the importance of having time to yourself, and the importance of Zac and I getting to check some things off of our 'list' before we start our family.
It feels weird to admit. I guess because I've been so obsessed with becoming a mom for so long, it's weird to not have that desire anymore. I mean, I want to be a mom eventually, but not soon. Kinda strange how it seems the older we get, the closer parenthood should feel, but we both agree that it just keeps seeming further away. Hmm...weird.
Anyways, there. It's off my chest now. That's my deep dark secret. Does it surprise you? Do you think less of me? I feel better.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I am happy that you and Zac are so happy! You two deserve it. You should NOT feel bad that you want some time for yourselves before having children. I think you are doing everything right on schedule. The children will come when the time is right. I was 30 when you were born - and that was the right time too. So travel, buy new furniture, sleep late, (come visit your mother), and enjoy yourselves now. I'll take more grandchildren when the time is right! I love you both very much, Molly too!

Anonymous said...

Silly girl, you are definitely not letting us down by waiting a while longer... really! Live it up while you can! I was almost 30 when E was born and don't regret waiting at all. You guys are still young. ~T

Ashley Higley said...

Jules, You're so precious! First, I must say that this post was surprising to me because as long as I've known you, you have wanted to be a mom. It made me sooo extremely happy though to read that you are at a great place in life and that you and Zac are enjoying life, traveling, work, each other, etc. I feel like I'm very much at that same place. I think that some day I'll want to be a mom, but this point in life is so amazing that I don't want to rush into the next phase because of pressure from others(family, friends, society). Thanks for sharing! I miss you!

Ashley Higley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen Enright said...

I love the post!! Have children when it's the right time. You and Zac are so happy right now, and that is wonderful!!!

Stacy said...

Ditto A.Wann! :)