Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Broadway Baby





WARNING: This is a very long post, but like my cousin Ellen said on her blog "no one is making you read this." For those of you who like to make fun of me, I am sure this post will give you lots of ammo...enjoy!

Back in May, when I was in Houston, Liz and Andy let me join them for a date night. They had tickets to see The Wedding Singer (the Broadway Across America performance). I went to dinner with them and then when we got to the theater, just as I was about to pay $40 for a ticket, a women stopped me and told me that she had an extra and gave it to me for free. It was amazing. I wish I had asked for her name and number to send her a thank-you letter. Her act of kindness will not be soon forgotten. Anyways, as appreciative as I was that night, and still am, this blog is not about her. So...the show was great. I am a big huge dork, but when I get so excited or overwhelmed, I get a lump in my throat, and tear up. When the first song started and the curtains came up and I saw all the props...this happened to me. (It also happened this first day of cheer camp last month, when all the NCA-staffers came out to blaring music with stunts and tumbling and jumps. I was trying not to let any of my girls see how pumped I was, haha. Again, this blog is not about why I cry at exciting times. This blog is baout how after the show that night, I told Zac that I would love to go to shows all the time like Liz and Andy do. I appreciated the "culture" and the talen level of these people is phenomenal. Fast forward a few weeks later to my birthday, and guess what I got??? Tickets for two to three different shows in the Dallas Summer Musical series. First, Zac and I went and saw Stomp. He actually enjoyed it alot and even laughed out loud at some parts! Not to get sidetracked again, but did you see my skirt? Liz brought that back to me from her trip to Europe. It is a little too small now to wear the normal was (on my waist or hips) so I had the brilliant thought "I will just make it one of those high-waisted skirts that are in style these days!" I asked Zac if it looked okay and he said I looked great. I gave it a look in the mirror and thought it was fine, but when I got to the theater, I got SOOO self conscious. Then, when we asked someone to take our pic after the show, and I looked at it, I realized that this was a look that was not meant for me, and I will never try to pull it off again. Haha, look at the difference in Zac and I where our shirts meet our skirt/pants. Kinda comical, huh? He would die if he knew that I was sharing this, but when we got home and pulled into the garage, on our way walking in, Zac saw some dirt on the ground and started moving his foot over it, making a scratching sound. I grabbed an empty recycle container and started hitting it. I thought we were going to stop after a few seconds, but we probably did it for two or three minutes. It was hilarious. Can you imagine me and Zac in the garage in dressy clothes bainging around making beats? It was hilarious. I was laughing so hard my tummy hurt. I like to be cheesy all the time, but Zac usually doesn't, so his spontenaity surprised me. Okay, back on track Jules! So the next show I went to was Hairspray with Ramsi. I saw this musical on Broadway in New York, so I was a little apprehensive about if I would be able to enjoy the traveling show, but I WAS! Ramsi had never been to a musical before, so I also enjoyed seing her enjoy it. The last show Zac gave me tickets to was High School Musical. I took Stacy to see this one. I had not seen the movie, and really didn't know much about it, so it was fun to go and be totally surprised. Stacy and I met at this cute little restaraunt right by Fair Park (where the shows are) and then walked to the show. It was an amazing evening. Of the three, I think I liked High School Musical the least, but the company and the dinner made up for it. ;)

No comments: