Sunday, January 24, 2010

Food, Fat, and Groceries Galore...

Warning...this is a super boring post. I was even bored typing it, so I'm confident you will be bored reading it. Sorry. Check back soon for a fun post about my awesome weekend in McKinney with Ellen and Amy and their families! :)
My work is having a competition called Biggest Loser. We weighed in when we got back from Christmas break, and we will weigh in every Thursday until Spring Break, when the winner will be announced. If you participate, you get to wear jeans on Thursday (in addition to Friday!) so I decided that even if I don't do well, it's worth joining, just to get two jean days per week! :)Everyone who wanted to participate put $10 in the pot. 55 people joined in, so the winner will receive $550...pretty good incentive, huh? Anyways, the school nurse sends an email out on Fridays to the people in the "Biggest Loser" group and let's us know how we're doing. The competition is who can lose the most body weight by percentage, which I think is very fair. If Janie weighs 100 pounds and loses ten, and Sally weighs 200 pounds and loses 15, Janie wins...even though she lost fewer pounds, she lost more of her body weight in percentage...make sense? Anyways, we are starting week three tomorrow. The first week I lost 2.04% and last week I lost 2.18% (total, not in addition to week one). Anyways, my goal is to lose ten pounds, so I don't really know what percentage that is. I am trying some, but it's been pretty half-hearted so far. All my co-wokers are borderline obnoxious about watching what they eat and talking about it all the time, but all that does is make me want food more, so I've been trying to just be sensible and cut back a little here and there. This entire past week was hard because I've been on antibiotics and that's been messing up my tummy, so hopefully future weeks will be easier.

Last week Zac and I rented Food, Inc. and that was an eye opener too. If you haven't seen it, I would reccommend it, disturbing as it was. At least there is hope...I like how they compared tacking these huge food companies to "big tobacco."

Zac and I went grocery shopping together tonight. We hadn't been to the grocery store in a very long time, and our pantry and fridge were so bare. We only have a Brookshire's and a Wal-Mart in town. The Wal-Mart is new, and because there isn't really competition, it's very expensive. I hate going to both of the stores in town. Since we knew that this was going to be a big trip (spending alot and wanting to buy alot) we drove to Waxahachie, about ten minutes away, to go to HEB. I forgot how much I love shopping at HEB. Not only was it super cheap, but they have more selection, and I love their brands like Hill Country Fair and stuff. Sounds dumb to get excited about, but it's been years since I actually LIKED grocery shopping, and tonight I did. Also, we got lots of healthy choices, so I was excited about that. We got ground turkey instead of beef, anytime we had the choice for whole wheat we did that instead. I really do not like wheat macaroni or spaghetti as much, but I thought if I could train myself to only eat it, maybe I'll start liking it more. I mean, I don't hate it, I just prefer the unhealthy kind, haha. Oh well...at least we got the healthier items. We also got fruit and veggies and hope to eat more fresh produce.
Okay, there isn't really a point to this post, except that I'm trying to be healthier, and maybe that will also in turn help me become my school's "Biggest Loser." Tomorrow I am officially going to start trying "whole heartedy" and maybe I'll get better results. I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

Linda said...

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are the Biggest Loser at your school - and winning $500+ would be great too!!! If you win, we can go to El Rancho to celebrate!

LOVE YOU!!!