Friday, January 15, 2010

Sick Students=Sick Teachers

Yep, you guessed it! I am sick. One of our sweeties came to school Monday morning coughing and asking to go home. We called his mom and she let us know that he has a doctor appointment scheduled...Thursday! Okay, it's one thing if it's a sprained wrist or something, but in my (smart) opinion, you don't wait three days to go to the doctor when it's a cold. Anyways, he was in school all week coughing all over us (yeah, he never covers his mouth, but instead leans towards you when he needs to cough). Thankfully he is somewhat secluded from the other kids for various reasons, so he was mostly around teachers and not others kids. Anyways, he comes this morning, looking AWFUL and saying his head's on fire. One of my coworkers (who was also not feeling great, like myself this morning) walked him to the office and sure enough he had a 102 fever. We called the mom and she said "yeah, we went to the doctor yesterday and they said that he has a sinus infection AND bronchitis...I was hoping he'd be better today." Really? She sent him to school the very day after he was diagnosed with both of those things? Needless to say, we had her come pick him up. We really like this mom a lot, and I know that some people have a hard time missing work, but I feel so bad that her poor child was miserable and sick all week and still having to go to school, AND exposing all of us to whatever he had too!!
Any who...this afternoon I couldn't bear it anymore, so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for myself. It turns out that I have a sinus infection (what a coincidence!!!) and an upper respitory infection. I have NEVER once had a sinus infection, but it's not much fun. My whole head hurts (nose, throat, the usual) but my ears hurt a lot, and my doctor said there's lots of fluid in them. Okay, I have a question for those with sinus experience...is it normal for the doctor to turn off the lights and hold a light up to your cheekbone? I've never experienced this, but it is what she did right before she said "you definitely have a sinus infection." I guess she could see the fluid through my skin or something? Hmm...weird. Anyways, I guess I was more sick than I thought I was...she gave me a cortisone shot and an antibiotic shot. Anyone ever had a shot of rocephin? It is probably the most painful shot ever! I had it once when I was a freshmen in college for tonsilitis, and I could hardly walk up the stairs to my dorm for a week because my hip hurt so badly. Luckily my doctor today mixed the rocephin with lidocaine, which made it not feel like she was injecting fireants directly into my blood stream, like it did last time I had roephin. Okay, so two shots is enough, right? Nope...she also gave me an inhaler to help with the upper respitory infection (my chest burns to breathe), a weeks worth of antibiotic pills (which I start tomorrow) and tussionex, which is cough syrup with codene in it. I took some of that earlier because of my achiness, which may be one reason why I am so long winded and wordy in this blog. I'm gonna blame it on the tus-tus-tus-tus-tus tussonex. (get it? like the song?) Anyways (I feel like I've said that a lot today, have I? Oh well, anyways) I am sure that you just learned more than you ever wanted to know about my current health status, and I am quite confident I came across as a little whiny. Sorry. Guess I'll be watching lots of movies this weekend...hopefully I'll be feeling better by Monday. Blah..............
To end on a good note...Molly is feeling MUCH better. She is completely back to her old self! :)

4 comments:

mark said...

Bummer, being around kids that are sick is the worst. As a teacher it is tough to keep a safe distance.

Linda said...

I went to my allergy doctor once with similar symptoms that you described. He covered a small flashlight with something and put it in my mouth and turned out the lights. There was a mirror in the room so he showed me where my sinuses were clogged. It was amazing. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I Love You!

Stacy said...

I'm sorry! Hope you feel better soon so we can hang out. :) XOXO

maci said...

It's so sad when parents go ahead and send their children to school when they are that sick. You know the child would much rather be at home resting and getting better! :(

I hope you are feeling better...sinus infections are the worst!