Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rollercoaster Weekend

The good part of this weekend was really good, and the bad part of this weekend was really bad. A roller coaster of emotions, if you will. Let's start with the good. Saturday we left around noon to head up to McKinney for Claire's third birthday party. I always love spending time with my cousins and their families, but this was an especially great day. We started out at the Allen Natatorium (for an indoor pool party), then went to Ellen and Breagan's house for cake and presents. Claire was so excited to have everyone there and told "Zaccy" and me several times "thanks for coming to my party!" Very cute. After everyone started leaving their house, we stuck around (as well as Amy and Gian), to visit and laugh. We decided to have dinner together before we headed back to Midlo, so we went to Scotty P's for some yummy burgers. We ended up staying there for almost two hours, just visiting (and the guys watching the Cowboys game). It was finally time to go and we hugged a million times...it was so nice to spend the day together. Here are a few precious pics (although Ellen's were MUCH better than mine)...
Above, my lovely cousins. Below, please notice Nati's sweatshirt!! :)

What a little poser! Haha, too cute! ;)
Ellen made Claire's cake, and it tasted as good as it looked...AMAZING!The happy birthday girl and her proud Mama at the restaurant.
Ready for the bad part? We got home from McKinney (about 10pm) and Molly met us at the door...looking nothing like Molly. She was having some type of allergic reaction, and who knows how long she'd been suffering. This is what she looked like:
Just looking at these pics again makes me hurt.

Her appearance alone made me kind of panic and cry, but the guilt of leaving her all day was unbearable. We never found what it could have been (it looked like she just slept the whole time we were gone, there was no food or trash or anything different than when we left). We gave her a benadryl and a bath (in case it was topical) and tried to calm down a bit. I was very worried that it would start affecting her breathing, so I planned on waking up every 30 minutes to check on her. I didn't have to worry about waking up to check on her though, because all three of us didn't sleep all night. Mols was very restless and uncomfortable and we were worried, so we watched her every move. We finally settled in around 5am, and then she woke up vomiting about 7. It had been eight hours, so we gave her another benadryl and went back to sleep. She woke up throwing up again around 10 so we all got up for good. We thought things were getting better, but around 1 the swelling and itching came back. Hives everywhere. This time it bothered me even more because she'd had two rounds of benadryl, so why in the world was this still happening? It also has been driving me mad that we don't know what caused it. Anyways, she wasn't allowed to have another benadryl until 3:30, and it obviously wasn't working much anyways, so we took her to the doctor. Of course, being a Sunday we had to take her to an Animal Hospital, which automatically means super expensive, but it's our baby, the money wasn't even a thought. The vet gave her an IV with steroids and we sat and waited. He would normally give her a benadryl shot (fast acting) but since she'd had two doses in the past 14 hours, he didn't want to overdose her. We watched and the bumps slowly started going down a bit. It was pretty pathetic...bless her heart. This is what she looked like when she was "better" and we took her home.

It was a long and horrible night and day. I am doing better now that I think she is started to get better, but for awhile, I thought my heart was going to break in half. I HATE seeing her in pain, and she's a dog...I pray my kid never looks so pathetic, because I don't know how I will handle it. That probably sounds dramatic, but I really felt weak today, the sadness was taking over me. :( I love that girl so much. I know people who don't have a pet like that probably don't understand, but she is a part of our family, and when she is miserable, Zac and I are miserable too. Haha, we were probably more upset today than she was.
Thank goodness we had such a wonderful day Saturday to make up for our rocky night and Sunday. Okay, enjoy this cute video. Ellen, Braegan, Amy, and Gian love The Office, so they borrowed this little practice from the show, and it has now become a family tradition for them. I love it! :)

3 comments:

Ellen Enright said...

Oh my goodness!! Poor Poor baby Molly. She did look bad. I'm so sorry Julia. I'm glad she's doing better though.
Also, I love the video of Claire skipping. I didn't realize you were taping.

Linda said...

Poor little Molly. I hope she is feeling much better by now. It looks like Claire's party and after party was a huge success. How fun!

maci said...

I'm so glad to know that Molly is doing better now!!!

Also, that video is completely adorable. :)