Thursday, January 28, 2010

My afternoon on the football field...

Tuesday at 2:45 pm, two students were absent, six were in resource reading, and four were in the room with me. Two of them were working on touch math, one was in his wheelchair at the computer getting his tube feeding, and one of them was in the shower in the bathroom (with two teachers helping). Suddenly a familiar voice came over the speakers and announced that we were having a fire drill. Jeeze, great timing. My coworker/friend Lisa and I looked at each other like "you have GOT to be kidding...right?" and then started getting the kids to the door. Since I was in charge of "N" at this time, I had to wheel him in his big cumbersome wheelchair AND his IV pole to the door and out in to the hall to leave the building. We thought we were just going out the door and standing there, but a fireman was waiting for us there and sent us to the back of the school. We all had to evacuate to the football field, which meant a long walk all the way around the perimeter of the school with a wheelchair and an IV pole. It's kind of hard to push both at the same time, especially when I'm trying to keep another kid close to me as well.
Long story short, there was a gas leak down the road and we had to evacuate so they could check the gas levels in the school. While we were out there, one of my girls said "if you don't let me in the school, the principal's gonna FIRE YOU!" It was disrespectful, and I definitely explained to her that she can't talk to me that way, but it was a little funny too. Haha, can you just picture her 'pulling some strings' and getting me fired because I wouldn't let her go to her locker? ;) We were outside for half an hour when they discovered that the levels were low enough to let the kids get their books and backpacks to go home. So not only did we evacuate 1000 students, we also let them back into the school (quickly!!) and then back out to the football field again. It could have been SOO messy, but luckily it was very organized and even though no principals or anyone could have ever predicted or planned this, it went very smoothly. News helicopters even flew over to get footage, which was very exciting to most students, but increased anxiety and fear for our kids. The Nurse had to run in and get supplies to flush my student's tube feed line. His bag had emptied, so we had to finish the tube feed and get him ready to go home. That part was kind of stressful. Anyways, after the kids were back on the field with their backpacks, we were just waiting for the city officials and fire department to open the roads near our school again so the busses and parents could come pick the kids up. Our school gets out at 3:40 on a normal day, and the last kids left around 4:30, so that's not too bad if you ask me. I helped direct traffic, since parents had to pick kids up in back of school (rather than in front). Most parents were pretty pleasant considering they'd been waiting for roads to open and stuck in lines, and having to reroute and whatnot, but not one mom...I got SCREAMED at. I'm not sure why she chose me, but she blocked traffic coming and going and got out of her car to start yelling at how she didn't appreciate her kids having to stand outside. (Um, for the record it was a BEAUTIFUL sunny day, the weather was gorgeous and they weren't outside more than an hour!) Luckily my principal saw it happening and jogged over. He had to literally scream at her to get in her car and she still wouldn't. What an idiot. She finally got in her car, but promised we'd be hearing from her. My principal told me later that he called her that night and explained that if everyone acted the way that she had, there would have been complete chaos. It's true, but of course she didn't back down. Luckily most parents just appreciated the measures we took to ensure the safety of their children. It ended up being okay and we were all laughing when it was over that it was a day we'd NEVER forget, but at the time it was pretty crazy.
We had a fieldtrip on Wednesday. We purposely planned it on that day, because we had been notified that there would be a lockdown that day, and in our class, that's a big deal. It's easier to just plan to be gone. Anyways, we found out Tuesday that the lockdown would be postponed to next week. Go figure, right? :) We still went to the Science Center at Fair Park and had lunch at Cotton Patch, and it was a blast, but I can puh-romise you that I will have another interesting story next after our lockdown drill. It's supposed to happen during lunch, and the people at admin want to video tape it, to find weaknesses and whatnot, so it's gonna be crazy. We are in the gym during 4th period, so we will have to hideout in a locker room. I took one of our kids in there today just to get him familiar with it. He was very cute, and whispered and seemed to know that if we were in there it was serious. Hopefully next week when it really does go down, he will be that calm and easy going. Boy oh boy, I love my job...there is ALWAYS a new adventure! :) I think I'm going to write a book one day about being a special ed teacher!

3 comments:

Katie K said...

Wow, Julia, you have been given a special kind of tenderness and patience to do what you do every day. It sounds overwhelming and you just take it all in stride! Your students are very blessed to have you!

Anonymous said...

All of this experience at work of rolling with the punches is going to be great practice for motherhood!! :) ~Tatem

Amy Falco said...

I love hearing about your teaching experiences (so different from mine!) You are so amazing and it sounds like you did an awesome job taking care of your students!!!

Love you!!!!