Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Got kids?

Even though I don't really want to teach elementary school, the early childhood classes I take are usually pretty interesting. Alot of it will be stuff I want to know more as a parent than a teacher, since I want to teach middle or high school. Today in one of my classes (Literacy Acquisition), we each had to find and share a neat website that promotes family literacy. Two websites stood out to me, enough to actually make me really excited about them. If you have kids (of any age) I highly recommend you check out these sites and then let your kids...
StarFall.com- This website has cute audio and great visuals. This site is great for all ages, as it has activities for all different levels from learning the alphabet to knowing how to read. (The levels are in order from 1-4, 1 being the easiest, so just see which your kid needs.) One person in my class said that her TWO year old loves the "ABC" part of this site.
RIF.org (Reading is Fundamental) This website also has activites and tips for all different ages. Literally, there are pages for kids 0-2, 3-5, on up. And they are NEAT sites!
I can't say enough good things about these sites, you will just have to go ch-ch-check them out yourself.
Honorable Mentions:
http://helpmeread.org/
http://www.funbrain.com/

2 comments:

Meg said...

Julia,
A good site you might want to check out is Thinkfinity.com. It's got LOTS of great material about family literacy for teachers, parents and children.

Meg

The Moore's said...

Jason and I do starfall with Caden each night. He absolutely loves it.... i will have to check the others out!