Saturday, August 16, 2008

"PINK...is my favorite color"

-song by Aerosmith (also sung by Julia Oldham, on a regular basis)

One of my cheerleaders asked me yesterday "why do you love the color pink so much? How could you be so obsessed with a color?" Well my friends, there are very few people who know the story about how I became obsessed with pink, and as dorky as it is, I thought I would share it with you here, on my blog, for the world to see.
Although I always loved pink as a kid, I would not say I loved it any more than the average girl. I loved pink flamingos and pink candy and pink clothes, but it was just my favorite color. It wasn't an obsession. YET. It is a very simple story actually, how my obsession came to be. I was having a discussion with my youth director, when I was a junior in high school, and somehow we got on the subject of our appearance. I told her that my parents had bought me a pale pink robe for Christmas, and everytime I got out of the shower, and put it on, I had rosie cheeks, and I thought that the pale pink made my eyes look pretty. Isn't it funny that that is when I thought I looked best...when I had wet hair and no make-up on, but there was something about the pink robe (and the red cheeks too) that made my eyes sparkle. She said "ya know, you can buy pink clothes, so that you always feel that way, and not just for the 10 minutes after you get out of the shower!" And thus, my obsession for pink was born. My birthday was a few weeks later, so I asked for every gift to be pink. That was my 17th birthday, so I still had the kind of birthday parties, where lots of friends came and everyone brought a gift. The pink thing was a success! Every single thing I got was pink, whether it was clothes, decorations for my car (I had just gotten a new car!) or whatever...it was all pink! We took a picture of my pile of gifts. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Nothing but pink!
The love of pink started just with clothing (remember, I thought I looked good in pink?), but soon it became a personality thing. I thought pink described me. Girly. Then the movie Legally Blonde came out and (hopefully you're already aware) I identified with Elle, and pink became an attitude. I was all about pink, pink, pink, and as you know...I still am. :) I will probably force my child to love pink, no matter if it is a boy or girl...I dont care about "gender identity!" Boys can wear pink too! Molly already loves it...just look at her photos! She surrounds herself in it, haha! I love pink so much that it can take my breath away. I will never forget the day I walked into the new Victoria's Secret store in The Domain (Austin) and in neon lights, I saw the words "Life is PINK is Life!" It was breathtaking! I want those words and lights in my house! I have a pink room in my house and sometimes I go in there for a nap or some serenity. It is like my happy place! I can't explain it, but I LOVE PINK! I'm obsessed...and I'm not ashamed! It is my number one obsession (followed by a love for Boston Terriers...the best dogs ever! I am sure I will post about the magic of BT's one day too!) Oh, and I also love Cheerleading and Ashlee Simpson, but this is not about that. This is about PINK!
Anyways, that was a pretty pointless blogpost, (Zac says it is the stupidest one I have ever written and I make myself sound dumb) but just thought you might be interested to see how my fascination with pink came about. And by the way, I told my cheerleader: Pink is not JUST a color...it's a way of life!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Ellen Enright said...

Thank you so much for explaining that. I love the story behind it.

Stacy said...

Very interesting! And yes, I have often wondered ...

Liz said...

You also had a weird monkey obsession for awhile, though I'll admit, it never reached your pink obsession. :)