Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day Coverage

If you know me, you know I am NOT a morning person, and it takes something significant to get me out of bed early in the morning. Yesterday counted as a significant day...I woke up around 7 and was so excited that I could not fall back asleep. This was the day I had been waiting for! I went to the Ellis County Democratic Headquarters and volunteered for a few hours, answering phones, and walk-in questions. Alot of people just needed to find out where their poll location was, which was pretty easy, and very fun. I just kept thinking "this is such a neat experience...I might never get an opportunity like this again!" The best part of the whole morning was all the neat people I met, who were also volunteering for the same cause as myself. It is nice to be surrounded by people with your same ideals and beliefs! One man I met was a Nurse Antitheses, and looked EXACTLY like a famous actor. It was mind-boggling how much he looked like him...I kind of wanted to ask if it really was him, haha! This picture is of the actor, but it is also exactly what my new friend looked like. Another one of the fascinating people I met is a retired exec of Boy Scouts of America. He played football at UNT and then played for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is best friends with "Mean Joe Green." Another volunteer, Roark is a professor of law at SMU, and used to be a public defender in Washington D.C. It was a neat, neat morning. I was tired the rest of the afternoon, but it was so worth it! :) How often do you get to work together with people who are perfect strangers at 8am, but feel like dear old friends by noon!? It was amazing.
So you either know me personally, of know me from reading my blog, but either way...you have probably realized that I do not mind being a dork every now and then. For some reason yesterday I decided to be a reporter (maybe because I have been watching so much news and CNN lately, haha). I made a reporter style video at 7:30 in the morning, and another one at the end of the night. When I got out of class at 7pm, we headed to downtown Fort Worth to attend a Tarrant County Democrats party held at the Hilton. It was a blast...even better than I could have imagined! Stacy and her dad and friend Rachel met us there, so that made it even better! The ballroom was decorated beautifully and there was such a neat mixture of people there. Anyone who says that "only black people voted for Obama" (I have heard people say that with my own ears!) is sadly mistaken. There were all different walks of life and several different races, ethnicities and socio-economic status's represented at the party...kinda like America! ;) Everyone cheered and cried, jumped, and hugged...I cant imagine watching it at home. This was such an amazing and historical night. Words obviously cant explain how I felt and what the ambiance of the room was (lots of excitement, anticipation, and HOPE). I had an amazing and eventful Election Day, and took lots of pictures. Enjoy this little video montage I made of pics and vids:

Since my friend Stacy and I literally went to all the same rallies and parties, our "Journey with Obama" is quite similar. You MUST watch this amazing video that she made, as she is MUCH more talented than I am! (plus I am in it alot, haha) Check it out...it serisouly gave me goosebumps! :)

6 comments:

Luke and Kayla said...

What an awesome journey! Groovy video too! We'll all remember this election forever! :D

-Kayla O.

Linda said...

You are my most precious dork ever and I love you.

Stacy said...

aww i LOVE your video, that was so cute! You're one of the ONLY people I know who would do the video blogging of yourself. Ha it makes me laugh - LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

The video was cool, but yeah, you are officially a dork!

Ellen Enright said...

Great videos. Pretty cool what happened. I am excited to see what the next 4 (possibly 8) years hold.

Liz said...

I'm glad it was an amazing day if you were Julia. :) you are officially the biggest dork i know.