Saturday, November 29, 2008

UT Hex Rally

Obviously I am SUPER late in posting this, since today is Saturday and I started it Monday night. I didn't post it, since I wanted to add more, but I have too much to blog about to catch up for the past week, so I'm just posting it half finished. I think you will forgive me, and I mean, who says you even care? This might be more than you ever wanted to know about it anyways, haha! :)




In 1923, the Longhorns had been unable to win a game at Kyle Field in 18 years. Desperate to break the College Station "jinx," UT students consulted Madam Agusta Hipple, a local fortune teller. She instructed the students to burn red candles the week before the game as a way of "hexing" the Aggies and putting a stop to the jinx. Through the week of Thanksgiving, Austin shops found it difficult to keep red candles in stock. Candles were burned in store windows along the Drag, in the fraternity and sorority houses of west campus, in the lounges of University residence halls, and in the windows of houses of Austin’s neighborhoods. Madam Hipple knew what she was doing. By uniting the football team and its fans with such a visible show of support, how could the Longhorns fail? They didn’t. Texas went to College Station, defeated the no. 2 ranked Aggies 23 - 0, ended the 18-year jinx, and restored their pride.

This little girl was totally me when I was little! I was in a cheerleading outfit, on my dad's shoulders, so excited and in awe, staring at the cheerleaders and dancers! :)

Mom and me with our Hex candles.

Pops, Zac and Mom before the rallly started.

This is a new mural on the drag and mom wanted to take a picture of it, so I volunteered to be a dork and do a lib in front of it. ("lib" is a liberty, a name for this particular stunt, except a guy is supposed to be hold you in the air when you do it. haha, not on flat ground!)



This is the UT Pom squad dancing. I was so pumped when their song came on and it was the Ashlee Simpson/Missy Elliot remix of L.O.V.E! :) For those of you (ahem, Zac) who enjoy stomping, you will be pleased to see that the frat joins them on stage and they do a little step routine. I felt weird because I have not been to a hex rally since I was in high school, and all the college kids were older than me. Tonight, I was older than them, and wondered if it was wierd that in a way, I still look up to the cheerleaders and dancers, even though I am older than them. Then I decided that maybe it wasn't that weird, because there are men in their 30s, 40s, and 50s and older, who look up to college football players. Right?

The cheerleaders were mixed in with the crowd, throwing stunts and whatnot, so I didnt get any pics or vids of them, but this is second best...it's a video I took of the UT Pom doing a dance I used to have memorized. No joke...I knew every move! At basketball games, I would scoot out to the stairs and do the dance from the aisle when they would do it during timeouts. Ahh...memories!




So, the one good thing about posting this late is that I can write that THE HEX WORKED! Hook 'Em Horns, and way to go!!! :) Pooooooor Ag-gies!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I used to have a UT cheerleading outfit when I was a little girl, too! :) Looks like you had a lot of fun--I've actually never been to a Hex Rally before, which is crazy considering I've lived in Austin my whole life.