Monday, January 12, 2009

My "Special" Saturday

This past Saturday, our high school hosted their annual Special Olympics basketball tournament. This was my second one to attend, and it was awesome. The local Special Olympics chapter includes Rockwall, Cedar Hill, Midlothian, Waxahachie, Highland Park, and DeSoto, and it is an amazing organization. There are three different divisions, elementary, middle school, and high school/adult. I think the elementary kids are my favorite, but I loved watching all of them. The kids have so much fun, and the parents at this event are SO amazing. Y'all know I have a weakness for these kids. I love them. I feel like I was meant to work with kids with special needs. In fact, I have worked with alot of the kids that were on the Midlothian teams. I love them so much and it is the most rewarding work I think I have ever done. More than cheerleading (duh, that's easy to do), but more rewarding than mission work, or anything else I've been a part of. These kids just make me so so happy, so of course spending a fun day with them was a blast. There were games all morning, then a little workshop where the high school basketball players did little drills with them and stuff. That was probably the most fun part to watch. It is so cool to see the high school kids getting so into bonding with these kids. They would get so excited when their buddies were successful!

Here is one of my favorite little girls with Blue the Panther.

Ramsi and I liked the shirt design this year...

The cheerleaders attend and cheer for all the teams. The kids think of them as celebrities...it is so neat for both the kids and the cheerleaders! We served them lunch, and then helped with the award ceremony at the end of the day. :)

1 comment:

Liz said...

That is such a wonderful thing for Midlo to do!