Sunday, January 18, 2009

"a renewed sense of purpose and progress"

This is an interesting video about the history of inauguration, as well as Obama's personal message about Tuesday. I am looking forward to this day, and just watching CNN talk about the inauguration gave me goosebumps. How beautiful that we live in a country where the people have a say in who leads us and how we are lead. Last week I finished the book A Thousand Splendid Suns about two women born and raised in Afghanistan. It is by the author of The Kite Runner, and it is AMAZING!!! The book historically accounts the never-ending wars and shift of rulers and power Afghanistan has experienced over the last 50 years. I absolutely take America, the place, the concept, the freedom, everything about it, for granted. I am not proud to say that, but I do. As Barack Obama says, to peacefully hand over power of the country to a person that WE elected, is such an amazing thing. Maybe the book I just finished helped me realize this, or maybe I am finally getting old enough to have these kind of thoughts, but whatever it is, I am grateful. I am aware and I do NOT want to take this kind of thing for granted. I can not wait to watch the ceremony on Tuesday, and to hear Obama say these words: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
What an exciting day for America, and for little old me! Because after all, this country is made up of single, individual, non-important people like me, who come together to make big and important decisions! :)

1 comment:

Liz said...

I can't wait for tomorrow. I think it should be a national holiday! That everyone actually had off for. MLK day should also be everyone!