Monday, September 8, 2008

My Amazing Family (and weekend)

After my horrible day Thursday, things could only get better. And they did...quickly! (Thank Goodness!)
Friday morning we (my parents and I) woke up and had some breakfast and hung out. We were originally going to go shopping in Cedar Hill, but decided to have lunch with Zac, so we didn't have time to leave town. Instead, we went to a local shop called Claire Lynn's and got Madeline a cute shirt to wear to the game that night. We had lunch with Zac at Jimmy's, and my mom got a dish I have never had before. It was Penne Vodka with chicken, and it was soo good! I am always hesitant to try new things at restaurants, so I was pumped she ordered it, so I could try it. After lunch I showed Mom and Pops my school, and then came home and changed for the Pep Rally. It was Hawaiian day, so we decorated the gym to look like a big tiki hut. Liz and Andy and Madeline got to town in time for the pep rally, so it was cool to look over and see them in the stands with Mama and Papa. Madeline was not sure what she thought of it. She didn't like the loud niose very much, and was scared of the Panther mascot. But Liz said that she would dance a little bit every time a new song came on. :) Here are a few pics from after the pep rally...



After the pep rally, Madeline needed to run around a bit (due to being in the car all day). We thought about taking her to a park, but it was so hot outside, and she seemed to be having fun in the arena, so we let her run around in there. The A/C was a plus for the adults, and the wide open spaces and plentiful stairs were a plus for Madeline. Win/Win! When we finally left the school, we headed home and hung out for a bit. We were originally going to order pizza before going to the Varisty game, but changed our minds after we were given tickets to the "End Zone Club" at the stadium where the FFA serves Bar-B-Q. We had fun there, and then headed to the stadium for the game. Even though the Panthers lost, it was a great night. Madeline would even yell "Go Panthers!" except one time she accidentally yelled "Go USA!" It was so funny. Do you think her parents watched the Olympics? We had fun in the stands, and after the game went down on the field and let Madeline run around again. It was neat to see Zac and Madeline interacting, running, catching, kicking, and throwing the ball. He is going to be such an amazing father!


When we got home from the game we celebrated (for the first time) all the September birthdays, which was Papa's, Liz's and Zac's. Liz brought cupcakes from Katy, and they were awesome! Not only were they pretty, but they tasted great too! Thanks Liz! Mom also gave Zac some pickle juice popsicles, which he was thrilled about. I think the exact quote was "this is the most thoughtful gift I have ever been given!" It was cute! Here are the cool cupcakes (each was a different flavor), and Zac showing off his Bob's Pickle Pop...


Saturday morning, Liz and Andy left to go spend the weekend with her college roommate Jennifer in Dallas. They left Madeline with us for the weekend, which was super exciting. Mom and Papa and Madeline and I left around 11 to go meet my cousins and Granny in Dallas for lunch. We met at Chuy's and had a great lunch. We had a big table, and our own little corner, which was nice, since we had three young kiddos with us. The highlight of the meal was my cousin Robin's announcements. The first was pretty exciting...she was nominated for "Best Actress" for her role in Blood on the Highway at a film festival in Syracuse, New York. The film fest is in October, so I will let you know if she won when I find out. Go Robin! Her next piece of good news was the best though! She won a scholarship to go study abroad for a year. She will be getting her Masters in film production (or something like that...Robin, help me out here) at Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland! What an amazing opportunity. I am so proud of all of my cousins! You all know that Ellen has two neat kids kids and opened my eyes to the process of adoption. Amy just left a job she was not completely happy with the start over as a teacher. Matt is living out his dreams in London, and now Robin is getting to pursue her dreams too! I have the best family! :) Here are some pics from lunch.



After lunch, Granny came back to Midlo with us. I was excited because I had to share her at lunch, so I wanted some Granny time all to myself! :) When we got home, Madeline and Zac and I took a nap and then woke up to more company. Family that I have not seen since I was probably 10 years old came over. Who knew...they live in Burleson! My Granny has always stressed the importance of family and sticking together, even as we get older. I love that she emphasized that, and I am glad she called Paula and Meredith to come over and visit. It was fun to compare childhood memories and rekindle that old bond. (We used to make up synchronized swimming routines, and put on shows for our parents when we were younger.) Saturday night my dad made fajitas (have I ever told you that my dad is the BEST cook ever?!) and we had a delicious feast. Robin stayed until about midnight and we had a wonderful talk on the front lawn. (She tried to leave around 11ish, but I walked her out and it turned into a long heart-to-heart. The kind that you don't get very often, but you are so grateful when it comes!)

Sunday morning Liz and Andy came back over to get Madeline and have the real birthday lunch. Robin surprised us and came back over again! I made my first brisket (it was delicious and pretty easy...it just cooked all night long) and we made mashed potatoes, baked beans, and a yummy birthday cake. (Yellow cake with chocolate icing...the best!) We put the leaves into the table and all 9 of us sat around the table for lunch. It made me so happy to set the table in my own house, for NINE people! We have had alot of people over for dinner before, but it was always burgers or fajitas or something, and everyone kind of spread out through the backyard and living room and kitchen and dining room. To have everyone in one place, all sitting together to eat, made it feel like a special meal. AND IT WAS! :) I can't wait to be a "grown up" and host a holiday at my house sometime. I love hosting. I love family. Life is good. It is amazing what family can do to refresh me and revive me. My soul is smiling after this weekend.

No comments: