Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm confused...

If John McCain complains that Obama is not experienced enough, why did he choose Sarah Palin to be his running mate? She is the 44 year old Governor of Alaska. Just a governor. State politics is nothing like National politics. Anyways, I am not here to bash. I'm just confused. I am trying to learn more about her, but all the media keeps covering is the stupid gossip about her teenage daughter being pregnant. That is irrelevant to me, I want to know where she stands on the issues I am most concerned about. (I was able to find her stance on several issues and unfortunantly I tend to disagree with alot of her beliefs.) Anyways, I would like to brag about Obama taking the high road on the whole family gossip thing... (taken from CNN.com)
Sen. Barack Obama said firmly that families are off-limits in the campaign for president, reacting to news that GOP running mate Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is pregnant. "Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president." Obama said reporters should "back off these kinds of stories" and noted that he was born to an 18-year-old mother. "How a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics, and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that's off-limits." Good for you Barack. You are absolutely correct!

Okay, one more thing. Not to be tacky (because I am honestly not here to judge), but Palin has made it very well known that she does not support sex education, and supports "abstinence only." I have always thought that this was an ignorant and foolish way to handle the situation. I am not here to be preachy, but kids are going to do it if they want. Isn't it at least better to teach them to be smart and safe about it? Duh! It is weird to me that someone who is so insistent on abstinence has a teenager that is pregnant. Like I said, I'm not judging the girl, I am questioning her mother.


Interesting side note: Her son's name is Track, her daughters are Bristol, Willow, and Piper Indy, and her grandson's name is Trig Paxson Van. Weird names, huh? I wonder if there is some Alaskan influence in these names.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

VERY good for Barack taking the high road. I'm not a fan of Sarah's politics either but her family should definitely be off limits.
-Stacy

Liz said...

Just fyi... Trig is Sarah's son. Not her grandson.

Liz said...

Also, this was posted yesterday, so its more about the rumors (untrue), that Trig is Sarah's grandson.
http://jezebel.com/5044017/sarah-palin-rumors-some-people-are-taking-the-low-road

It has some very good reasons to oppose Palin on her political beliefs, not caring at all that her daughter is pregnant, because really thats not anybody else's business.